Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Little Boy Basketball





I had to post about Hunter's first Upward basketball game.  Jared is his coach.  It is such a hoot to watch those kids play basketball.  There are 10 boys on the team.  On the team roster Jared got in the mail before the games started, they were listed in order of skill level.  Hunter was about 6th on the list.  He's not terrible but he's not the best on the team.  I say it's because there are 1st and 2nd graders on the team.  He's only in 1st of course so they have a year up on him, right?  Anyway, there are 6 6-minute periods.  Each boy gets to play 3 periods, whether in succession or not.  They could play every other or play 2, sit out 2.  It's the coaches call.  Also, they don't keep score at this age.  That's hard to get used to.  Isn't that what a sporting event is all about?  It's a neat league and we've really enjoyed all the sports Hunter's played so far.  Hunter actually had about 5 or 6 steals in the first game but got a whistle down the court for traveling or double dribbling.  He's a good shooter though.  Even if he did make it in the wrong goal! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shelbs- Glad to see you have a blog. For some reason I feel like I can keep up with people better through blogs than on FB. I read "I'm Not Ready for This" post and I'm scared for you and scared for when I have to start facing those moments. That's really tough but I bet that stuff like that happens on occasion even in Christian schools. I guess we just have to shield our kids with prayer and hope for the best. You'll have to let me know how the follow-up conversation with Hunter went. Love- Steph

    ReplyDelete