Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Am Not Ready For This

I am in panic mode.  I am a nervous wreck.  Right now, I want to jerk Hunter out of public schools and put him in a Christian school with other kids, whose parents actually care about them being good and doing right.  This 1st grade year has been very enlightening for Hunter.  About a week ago, I learned that he knew "ass" was a bad word.  Not that that's the reason for my panicking.  I can deal with that.  I also learned that he knew it was something bad to "put all of your fingers down except the middle one".  I don't THINK he knows exactly what it means but the fact that he's onto "the bird" is not good.  Today, I learned that he got in trouble for making a sign with his hands that is basically calling someone else gay.  When the teacher showed me the sign, I immediately thought it was a gang sign.  She proceeded to tell me that it was the equivalent of calling someone gay.  Finally it dawned on me:  he doesn't know what gay is, does he?  We've never even gone there before.  I was stunned so that I didn't even know what to say to him on the way home.  He was cowering behind the back seat.  Apparently, some kid taught Hunter this sign in AUGUST!  He and Hunter have been doing it back and forth for months now and today, the other kid decided to tattle on Hunter for doing it to him.  They both got in trouble.  I did ask him what the sign meant and he said he didn't know at first.  Then I said "yes you do" and he said it means 2 boys in bed together!!!!  It was at that moment that I knew I could not finish this conversation alone.  My mind was swimming and I felt like I was drowning.  Where to begin with this conversation with a 6-year old!  PLEASE, if anyone out there has any advice, now would be a great time for it.  Of course, I've already called upon God to help me so I didn't have a panic attack.  Hopefully, He'll give us the words to say because I really don't know what to say to get through to Hunter.  I am really not ready for this!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I only wish I had some words of wisdom for you! We will pray for you...and Hunter. :)
    Love you guys...we will see you this next weekend???

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I don't know what that gesture is. Neither does Jamal. Hunter is really smart.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete